Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Get ready to laugh…It is PRINCE (jared)

I make no illusion that i can sing…i did sing in various choirs for several years (9) as well as some quartets and duets but i really haven’t sang solo much and have never sang karaoke – until our Cruise that is…

So, my sister in law Joy suggested one night that we go sing Karaoke after dinner…on the cruise there was this thing called, “Princess Pop Star” (not Pop Princess, as Lissette kept calling it, making it seem like a “queen” show!) at one of the bars on the ship.  This was last Thursday and the top 2 singers moved on to the “finals”…Well, i really have no problem getting on stage and making a fool of myself, but i have to be in a certain mood to do it…i can be shy at times and singing in front of people solo has never been something i felt i could do…UNLESS it was the right song – and it HAD to be the right song…so, on the way to the bar i thought to myself, “if they have “Kiss” by Prince as a song choice, i’ll go for it”…

well, the second i saw the books of songs i knew they’d have it.  These books were bigger than the “i’m pushing 90 years old and can’t read small type” KJV Bibles you see holding down coffee tables.  Sure enough, multiple versions of the song awaited me…so, i quickly scribbled down my choice and went back to my family who were waiting for Joy and Daph to choose a song…none of them thought i’d go since i was playing it down the whole way over…

They called me first, i got up and just went for it…i was laughing quite a bit – throwing out some dance moves – kicking out the jams…and it was pretty fun, to say the least…Joy and Daph also sang and they both nailed their songs as well…i hoped 2 of us would move on (only 2 could) to the finals, but alas – our family vote of 10 people was split up between us 3 leaving the field open for another only myself and a dude from Malaysia moved on to the finals…

When i won that night, the guy told me that i had to be to the Princess Theater for “rehearsal” the next afternoon and i wouldn’t have a teleprompter for the lyrics, so it all sounded pretty legit!

The next day i went to the rehearsal and the other 7 people sounded amazing (well, 6 people – the poor guy from Malaysia didn’t know the words to his song and just stood there poor guy…they let him change, but he still didn’t know all of the words)…the other guys were so cool, very nice and we all had a great time…they told us all to be back at 4:45 so we could go backstage and get the running order of the night, etc…

So, i got to the theater and we all went backstage…during rehearsal i went 3rd and though i would be the same for that night…well, they brought us the list and i WAS LAST!!!  Everyone was saying they couldn’t wait for me cause they loved my song and dance routine…i was pretty stoked…the theater held around 300 people or so and i was excited to try and get people to laugh since that was my only goal – if you can’t get them to love your voice, get them to laugh and they will remember you and you might win!!!

It came time for me to go out and i couldn’t see a thing with all of the bright lights…i vaguely realized the place was mostly empty (maybe a 1/4 full?) and my family was somewhere near the right hand side of the stage towards the front…So, the guy that introduced me seemed like a big fan cause he kept talking to me about my dance moves and i got a sense he wanted my autograph :-)  He asked me a few questions and away we went!!!

And, here is the result!  Hope you enjoy!!!  Oh, and i didn’t win – didn’t think i would cause most everyone was professional singers that nailed their performances…BUT, i was the only one that had the MOVES…

This is in HD, so if it takes a while to start and you would rather have a low quality version of it – you can get it HERE

4 comments:

kelly said...

THAT was hilarious! Good job Jared. That was classic!

lissette said...

I am just the luckiest girl around to be married to such talent!!!!

Tami Anderson said...

That was absolutely awesome.

But, I must say, your little daughter sings much better! :)

May I PLEASE get a copy of your DVD when you have it? I could even give you my password and such for the MAKEWAYFORANDERSONSDUCKLINGS.blogspot.com

jaredean said...

HA! Yeah, Tristan NAILED her song...i was so proud! Man, you put on the best musicals ever!!!

And i am sorry i haven't burned a DVD yet - i haven't even dumped the videos from the camera to the computer!!! SLACKER!!!

Obviously i can't send it with TRex to school, cause school is out - so, do you live near the school...i am slammed this weekend with a massive network update, but hope to have it all done next week (all of the videos from their various things they've done in your class)...what do you think?